Tulips add a cheerful atmosphere to your garden through their colour palette. Plant your tulip bulbs in autumn and enjoy the colorful effect in spring. But when and how do you plant the bulbs exactly and when will it bloom? We are happy to help you make your garden colorful.
Below we have collected some frequently asked questions about planting tulip bulbs. Would you like to buy tulip bulbs online? Then take a look at our partner Amazon.com
Tulip bulbs are planted in autumn. From September until the first night frost.
For optimal results, it is important to put the tulip bulbs correctly into the soil. First remove the weeds. Then start ploughing the soil and add potting soil or compost, for optimum results add wood chips.
Plant the bulb 3 to 4 times its diameter deep into the soil, about 5 to 10 centimetres deep. A maximum of 40 bulbs per square metre.
When buying the tulip bulbs, it is wise to take into account the colour of the flower and the flowering period, depending on your wishes.
Or let yourself be surprised by planting the flower bulbs mixed.
Would you like to give nature a hand? Then plant bulbs such as alliums, muscari and crocuses. The flowers attract bees and butterflies, insects that pollinate and are therefore essential for plant reproduction.
After the tulip has blossomed you can certainly enjoy it for another year or more. If you want to recycle in a completely ecologically responsible way, leave the bulb with foliage in the ground after it has finished flowering. Only when the foliage dies, when it is yellow in colour, you can cut it off.
Tulip bulbs should then be removed from the soil, keep them dry and then the bulbs can be put back into the soil from October onwards.
Video about planting tulip bulbs
See also the video below for more information about planting tulip bulbs.
Are you planning to visit the best (flower) activities in Holland? Make sure to check out the most populair activities:
- Everything you want to know about Keukenhof Gardens
- Check out our information about the Flower Parade in Holland
- Our top sightseeing tours for exploring the flower fields
- Check out our hotel tips for visiting Keukenhof and the tulip fields
- Stay informed about the blooming of the flowers in Holland with our free Flower Forecast
- Want to experience the real thing? Visit a tulip farm in Holland
- See the best flower events during your visit to Holland? Check it out in our events calendar
- Visit the unique flower experience center all year round
- This flower attractions are open all year
- Our tips for the most populair tours in Amsterdam during your stay in Holland
- Get the most out of your visit with our tips for visiting Amsterdam
- Read more about the Tulip Festival Card