The Tulip Festival season is traditionally the start of spring in Holland. Millions of spring flowers show their brilliant colors to millions of visitors from all over the world.
It is the time for lots of flower events, flower gardens, the Dutch flower parade and various tours for sightseeing the amazing flower fields. Many of the activities are close to Amsterdam and ideal to combine with a visit to one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. It is also a great period to visit other parts of Holland or even Europe. Distances are very short in Holland.
Top 5 things to do during Tulip Festival
The flower season starts at the end of March and will last until mid May. There are a lot of things to do during the Tulip Festival season. We have collected our top 5 of things to do during Tulip Festival in Amsterdam.
1. Go sightseeing the blooming flower fields
The Dutch flower fields have been there for more than 400 years. The flowers are the highlight of spring in Holland. Seeing the millions of flowers that create the colorful lines is just amazing. Especially the tulip fields are very popular but also the crocus, daffodils and hyacinth fields are a must see. To see the blooming flower fields timing is everything. The blooming is very depending on the weather conditions in late winter and early spring.
- When are the tulip fields in Holland in bloom?
- Best ways for sightseeing the flower fields in Holland
- How do you travel to the flower fields from Amsterdam?
2. Take a look at a real flower farm
If you pass the flower fields you would almost forget that this fields are owned by growers who run their business. Most flower fields are there to grow flower bulbs. So it’s not about the flowers. In early May, the flowers are often headed to ensure that the bulbs get the best quality.
There are a number of flower farms where you can go along and learn more about growing flower bulbs. There are also flower picking gardens and show gardens where you can see many different spring flowers.
- Check out our list with flower farms near Amsterdam
3. Visit the amazing Keukenhof Gardens
Keukenhof Gardens is the most populair flower attraction in Holland. Every year the colorful garden gets more than one million visitors in just 8 weeks of opening. In 2019 the gardens are open from 21 March till 19 May.
4. Check out the Flower Parade and other flower events
Every spring there are several traditional events in Holland around the flowers. The most famous is the flower parade Bollenstreek. But there are many more flower events that are worth a visit.
5. Learn more about the flowers at one of the flower museums
Would you like to know more about the flowers from Holland and view art that is inspired by the beauty of flowers? Then visit one of the flower museums in the Netherlands.
Tulips from Holland
If you have 5 minutes time you have to watch the video below. The video tells the history of the tulip in a very nice way. Learn more about the tulipmania and how the tulip became the Dutch national symbol.
Watch the history of the Tulip in this short animation made by the Amsterdam Tulip Museum.
More about tulips
Are you planning to visit the best (flower) activities in Holland? Make sure to check out our most populair articles:
- Everything you want to know about Keukenhof Gardens
- Check out our information about the Flower Parades in Holland
- Visit the Flower Fields in Holland with our tips
- Stay informed about the growing of the flower in Holland with our Flower Reports
- Want to experience the real thing? Visit the best Flower Farms in Holland
- Our tips for the most populair tours from Amsterdam during your stay in Holland
- Get the most out of your visit with our tips for visiting Amsterdam
- The Countryside of Holland: all about Dutch cheese, clogs and windmills
- Is there something special in Holland? Check it out in our events calendar