Tulip Festival is traditionally the start of spring in Holland. Millions of spring flowers, like tulips, show their brilliant colors to visitors from all over the world. Tulip Festival 2020 will be from Saturday 21 March till Sunday 10 May.
During Tulip Festival there are many flower events in Holland. Flower gardens like Keukenhof, the Dutch Flower Parade and various tours for sightseeing the amazing tulip fields. Many of the activities are close to Amsterdam and ideal to combine with a visit to one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.
Top 5 must do thing during Tulip Festival
The flower season starts at the end of March and will last until mid May. There are a lot of things to do during the Tulip Festival season. We have collected the top 5 must do things during Tulip Festival in Holland.
1. Visit the amazing Keukenhof Gardens
Keukenhof Gardens is the most populair flower attraction in Holland during spring. The gardens are the perfect location to enjoy the flowers in Holland. By planting the flower bulbs in layers, the flowers in Keukenhof flower earlier and longer. Every year the colorful garden gets more than one million visitors in just a few weeks of opening. In 2020 the gardens are open from 21 March till 10 May.
- Read more: Keukenhof Gardens »
2. Sightseeing the blooming flower fields
The flower fields are the highlight of spring in Holland. Seeing the millions of blooming flowers that create the colorful lines is just amazing. Especially the tulip fields are very popular but also the crocus, daffodils and hyacinth fields are a must see (and smell). To see the blooming flower fields you will need to plan your trip. The blooming is very depending on the weather conditions in late winter and early spring. The best flower fields can be found in the Bollenstreek (Dutch for flower region).
- Read more: Sightseeing the flower fields »
3. Visit a real tulip farm
If you pass the flower fields you would almost forget that this fields are owned by growers who run their business. Most flower fields are there to grow flower bulbs. So it’s not about the flowers. In early May, the flowers are often headed to ensure that the bulbs get the best quality.
During tulip season you can visit a tulip farm near Amsterdam to experience the tulip growing and admire the flower fields at the farm.
- Read more: Visit a tulip farm near Amsterdam »
4. See the Flower Parade and other flower events
Every spring there are several traditional events in Holland around the flowers. The most famous is the Flower Parade Bollenstreek. Every year the parade is the highlight of spring. In 2020 the parade will be held on Saturday 25th of April.
- Read more: Flower Parade Bollenstreek »
5. Experience the flowers all year long
Would you like to experience the flowers from Holland? Visit one of the flower museums and attractions near Amsterdam. Best of all: these locations are open all year long. So you can experience the tulips even if you are not in Amsterdam during spring.
- Read more: Experience the flowers all year long »
Tulips from Holland
If you have 5 minutes time you have to watch the video below. The video tells the history of the tulip in a very nice way. Learn more about the tulipmania and how the tulip became the Dutch national symbol.
Watch the history of the Tulip in this short animation made by the Amsterdam Tulip Museum.
Are you planning to visit the best (flower) activities in Holland? Make sure to check out the most populair activities:
- Everything you want to know about Keukenhof Gardens
- Check out our information about the Flower Parade in Holland
- Our top 5 sightseeing tours for exploring the flower fields
- Stay informed about the blooming of the flowers in Holland with our free Flower Forecast
- Want to experience the real thing? Visit a tulip farm in Holland
- See the best flower events during your visit to Holland? Check it out in our events calendar
- This flower attractions are open all year
- Our tips for the most populair tours in Amsterdam during your stay in Holland
- Get the most out of your visit with our tips for visiting Amsterdam
- Read more about the Tulip Festival Card