Every year in April the Dutch Flower Parade attracts millions of people form all over the world. The amazing floats travel a route from the beaches at Noordwijk to the city of Haarlem.
The origins of this event took place in 1947, just after World War II and three years before the first opening of Keukenhof Flower Garden. When the World War was over the need for parties and socializing was great. Organizing parades began. The procession consisted then of a couple with flower garlands and flower lingers, decorated trucks and handcarts. The local band preceded.
At the first flower parade of the Bollenstreek it was Willem Warmenhoven, an amaryllis grower from Hillegom, who was the creator of the first adult float in the shape of a whale. On a rickety form a small truck was built and were concealed hyacinths. The town Hillegom invited Sassenheim and Lisse to cooperate this event, this was set at a large-scale parade and a small corsocomité.
Every year the flower parade attracted more and more people. First only local visitors but in the early 50’s there where already more than 500.000 visitors form all over the world.
View the video below with the 25th Flower Parade in 1972.
Are you planning to visit the best (flower) activities in Holland? Make sure to check out the most populair activities:
- Everything you want to know about Keukenhof Gardens
- Check out our information about the Flower Parade in Holland
- Our top sightseeing tours for exploring the flower fields
- Stay informed about the blooming of the flowers in Holland with our free Flower Forecast
- Want to experience the real thing? Visit a tulip farm in Holland
- See the best flower events during your visit to Holland? Check it out in our events calendar
- This flower attractions are open all year
- Our tips for the most populair tours in Amsterdam during your stay in Holland
- Get the most out of your visit with our tips for visiting Amsterdam
- Read more about the Tulip Festival Card