Visiting Holland in spring? Then there is a big change that you want to see the colorful tulip fields but the blooming of the flowers depends on the weather conditions in the first months of the year. So it isn’t easy to predict the blooming of the flower fields.
‘Normal’ flower season
The blooming of the flower fields in Holland depends on the weather conditions in winter and spring. When the weather is cold the flower fields are growing much slower than when is warm weather. A cold winter and spring will result in a delay of the blooming flower fields. A warm winter and spring will result in an earlier blooming periode.
What time do the flowers bloom in Holland?
The blooming of the tulip fields in Holland is something magical. They bring happiness to people watching the tulip fields. But the Bollenstreek (flower region) in Holland has more types of flowers. Each of this flowers are blooming in a different periode.
- Snowwhites – February – March
- Crocus – February – March
- Daffoldils – March and April
- Hyacints – End of March – April
- Tulips – Mid April – beginning of May
- Dahlias – Mid August – Mid October
We divide the flower season into three periods. Flower varieties bloom in each period.
When do daffodils and crocuses bloom in Holland?
Daffodils and crocuses are the first flowers to bloom in Holland. The flower fields mainly color yellow and purple. At Keukenhof Gardens most of the blooming tulips can be found at the indoor flower shows. In the outside gardens you will mostly see crocuses and daffodils in bloom and maybe some early tulips.
We expect the first period to start around mid-March and last until the beginning of April
When do hyacinths bloom in Holland?
During the second period the hyacinths start flowering. The flower fields color purple, pink, white and blue in beautiful pastel shades. The hyacinths also bloom in Keukenhof together with more and more early tulips
We expect the second period to start around the end of March and last until the end of April
When do tulips bloom in Holland?
The last period of time is the most popular period. The tulip fields are blooming. The flower fields color in hard colors such as red, yellow, purple and many other colors. In Keukenhof, everything is in full bloom in the outdoor gardens. At the end of this period the growers start to head tulips so that all energy goes back to the tulips.
We expect the third period to start around mid-April and last until the beginning of May
Blooming prediction 2021
The prediction of the blooming is very difficult. The weather in Holland is very hard to predict. In a normal year, Mid April till the beginning of May is the best period to see the tulip fields. If you want to keep updated about the Flower Forecast, please sign up for our free email updates.
Planning your trip to Holland
When you want to see the blooming flowers in spring it’s very important to book your hotel on time. Especially if you want to stay in the Bollenstreek (Flower region) or in Amsterdam Centre, you should be quick to book your hotel. At the popular weeks, hotels are fully booked quickly.
Popular travel periods in 2021 will be:
|3 – 5 April 2021||Easter weekend Keukenhof|
|14 – 18 April 2021||Flower Parade Week|
|19 – 26 April 2021||Tulip Peak Blooming|
|27 April 2021||Kings Day at Keukenhof|
Free weekly Flower Forecast
Want to know how the tulips in Holland are growing? Sign up for our free Flower Forecasts about the status of the flower fields and the flower blooming in Keukenhof. This weekly update will start in the beginning of March and ends on the closing day of Keukenhof. Our weekly forecasts will also give you more information about events and tours around Keukenhof and Amsterdam. In the other months we will send a monthly update about the flower activities in Holland.
The updates are also shared on this website and our Facebook page
Are you planning to visit the best (flower) activities in Holland? Make sure to check out the most populair activities:
- Everything you want to know about Keukenhof Gardens
- Check out our information about the Flower Parade in Holland
- Our top sightseeing tours for exploring the flower fields
- Check out our hotel tips for visiting Keukenhof and the tulip fields
- Stay informed about the blooming of the flowers in Holland with our free Flower Forecast
- Want to experience the real thing? Visit a tulip farm in Holland
- See the best flower events during your visit to Holland? Check it out in our events calendar
- Visit the unique flower experience center all year round
- This flower attractions are open all year
- Our tips for the most populair tours in Amsterdam during your stay in Holland
- Get the most out of your visit with our tips for visiting Amsterdam
- Read more about the Tulip Festival Card