When you are visiting the Netherlands in spring you want to see the flower fields in bloom but the blooming of the flowers depends on the weather conditions in the first months of the year. So it isn’t easy to predict the blooming of the flower fields.
‘Normal’ blooming season
The blooming of the flower fields in the Netherlands depends on the weather conditions in winter and early spring. When the weather is cold the flower fields are growing much slower than when is warm weather. A cold winter and spring will result in a delay of the blooming flower fields. A warm winter and spring will result in a earlier blooming periode.
In the Amsterdam flower area there are more kinds of flowers besides tulips. Every flower has it’s own blooming period. The normal blooming period per flower is:
- Snowwhites – February – March
- Crocus – February – March
- Daffoldils – March and April
- Hyacints – End of March – April
- Tulips – Mid April – beginning of May
Blooming prediction 2019
The prediction of the blooming is very difficult. The weather in the Netherlands is very hard to predict. In a normal year, Mid April till the end of April is the best period to see the tulip fields. If you want to keep updated about the blooming prediction, please sign up for our free email updates.
Planning your trip to Holland
When you want to see the blooming flowers in Spring it’s very important to book your hotel on time. Especially if you want to stay in the tulip region or in Amsterdam Centre, you should be quick to book your hotel. At the popular weeks, hotels are fully booked quickly.
Popular travel periods in 2019 will be:
- April 10 till April 14 2019 – Because the Dutch Flower Parade will be held on April 13th
- April 19 till April 22 2019 – Because of Easter weekend
- April 23 till April 30 2019 – Because of peak blooming of the tulips (with normal weather conditions)
Free Weekly Flower Report
We are located in Lisse (location of the Keukenhof Gardens) so we see the flower fields every day. We will provide a free weekly flower report about the status of the flower fields and the flower blooming in Keukenhof. This weekly update will start in the beginning of March and ends on the closing day of Keukenhof. Our weekly reports will also give you free information about events and tours around Keukenhof and Amsterdam. In the other months we will send a monthly update about the tulips.Sign up for our free blooming update
The updates are also shared on our website and our Facebook page
Are you planning to visit the best (flower) activities in Holland? Make sure to check out our most populair articles:
- Everything you want to know about Keukenhof Gardens
- Check out our information about the Flower Parades in Holland
- Visit the Flower Fields in Holland with our tips
- Stay informed about the growing of the flower in Holland with our Flower Reports
- Want to experience the real thing? Visit the best Flower Farms in Holland
- Our tips for the most populair tours from Amsterdam during your stay in Holland
- Get the most out of your visit with our tips for visiting Amsterdam
- The Countryside of Holland: all about Dutch cheese, clogs and windmills
- Is there something special in Holland? Check it out in our events calendar