The Netherlands is not known as a destination with lots of sun and high temperatures. You will not easily think of Holland for a beach holiday. Nevertheless, it is regularly warm in the Netherlands and we have a beautiful coast with a wide sandy beach and a unique dune area. Even with bad weather, the Dutch beach is a unique destination. We also say here Every day is a beach day =).
Beach and tulips
Most tulip fields are close to the beach. Because of the healthy maritime climate with a nice cooling sea breeze, insects have less chance to destroy the tulips and other flowers. This creates a natural protection for the flowers. From the popular Keukenhof Gardens it is only 7 kilometers (4.3 miles) to the nearest beach (Noordwijk Beach). An ideal combination.
The most beautiful and nicest beaches near Amsterdam
Below we mention three popular resorts in the Netherlands that are ideal for a day trip or to explore Holland.
Noordwijk Beach = Tulips & Space
The beaches of Noordwijk are close to the tulip fields. These beaches have been voted National Geographic as one of the 21 most beautiful beaches in the world. The wide sandy beaches are less than 50 kilometers (31 miles) from Amsterdam. And other Dutch cities such as Haarlem, Leiden, The Hague, Delft and Rotterdam are nearby.
As with the other Dutch seaside resorts, Noordwijk has many beach clubs. Most beach clubs in Noordwijk have a luxurious look and are open all year round. You can enjoy excellent dining with a view of the sea and the beach. From Noordwijk you can discover the Netherlands. There are many beautiful hotels where you can enjoy the beach but also in the city of Amsterdam, Delft, Haarlem, The Hague or Leiden.
The tulips are the best known symbol for Noordwijk, but this seaside resort still has a very important industry, namely space travel. Space organization ESA (European Space Agency) has established its test and research location ESTEC in Noordwijk. This makes space travel an important subject in the resort. On the boulevard you can find the Walk of Space with prints of well-known astronauts. A must is Space Expo where young and old can learn everything about space travel. This attraction is located just before the entrance of ESTEC.
From Noordwijk you can discover the Netherlands. There are many beautiful hotels where you can enjoy the beach but also in the city of Amsterdam, Delft, Haarlem, The Hague or Leiden. A hotel in Noordwijk is often much cheaper than a hotel in the center of Amsterdam. If your want to stay in a hotel near the beach and discover The Netherlands from there we recommend the following hotels:
- Grand Hotel Huis ter Duin (Big 5 star luxury hotel)
- Hotels van Oranje, Autograph collection (Big 5 star luxury hotel)
- Golden Tulip Hotel Noordwijk Beach (4 star hotel – great value for money)
- Vesper Hotel (Small 4 star luxury hotel)
- Fletcher Hotel De Witte Raaf (4 star hotel – great value for money)
Of course there are many more hotels and bed & breakfast locations in Noordwijk. Look here for the complete overview.
Zandvoort Beach = Trendy beach clubs & racing
Zandvoort Beach calls itself the beach for Amsterdam, but although it is indeed close to Amsterdam, the city of Haarlem is even closer. Because of its location close to Haarlem and Amsterdam there are many hotels and bed and breakfasts along the beach.
Zandvoort beach has many trendy beach clubs that many young people from the cities go to. One of the most famous attractions of this seaside resort is the race circuit of Zandvoort where in the past legendary races have been ridden. The circuit is one of the favorite circuits of the Dutch Formula 1 driver Max Verstappen.
If you want to stay in Zandvoort and discover The Netherlands form there you have a lot of choice. Zandvoort has the most options next to Amsterdam. With more than 400 locations where you can stay it’s hard to make the best choice. Below you will find our top 5 in Zandvoort.
- NH Zandvoort Hotel (4 star hotel)
- Palace Hotel Zandvoort (4 star hotel)
- Amsterdam Beach Hotel (3 star hotel – great value for money)
- Loft Studio’s Zandvoort (small b&b with great reviews)
- Paradise Amsterdam (apartments close to race circuit Zandvoort)
You can check out the rest of the more than 400 locations in Zandvoort Beach -> here.
The Hague Beach (Scheveningen)= Fun & Citylife
The beach at The Hague is the most popular beach in the Netherlands. It is about an hour’s drive from the center of Amsterdam and there are many beach clubs on the beach. This beach is usually called Scheveningen after the village which now belongs to The Hague.
Besides a visit to the beach and the many beach clubs Scheveningen also has many nice attractions on and near the boulevard. For example, a visit to the large Ferris wheel Skyview is recommended. But Sealife Scheveningen, Pathe Cinema and Holland Casino are also very nice. In 2019, a Legoland Discovery Center will also be opened on the boulevard.
- Grand Hotel Kurhaus Beach Scheveningen (5 star luxury hotel)
- Ramada Beach Hotel (3 star hotel – great value for money)
- Bilderberg Europe Hotel Scheveningen (4 star – great value for money)
- easyHotel Scheveningen (2 star – great hotel with budget prices)
- De Pier Suites (Suites on a unique location above the North Sea)
Check out all the hotels in The Hague Beach / Scheveningen
Are you planning to visit the best (flower) activities in Holland? Make sure to check out our most populair articles:
- Everything you want to know about Keukenhof Gardens
- Check out our information about the Flower Parades in Holland
- Visit the Flower Fields in Holland with our tips
- Stay informed about the growing of the flower in Holland with our Flower Reports
- Want to experience the real thing? Visit the best Flower Farms in Holland
- Our tips for the most populair tours from Amsterdam during your stay in Holland
- Get the most out of your visit with our tips for visiting Amsterdam
- The Countryside of Holland: all about Dutch cheese, clogs and windmills
- Is there something special in Holland? Check it out in our events calendar