Just like tulips, Dutch cheeses are world famous. Of course, Dutch cheese tastes a lot better than Dutch tulips. The most famous Dutch cheese is Gouda cheese. This cheese has been traded in the centre of Gouda for centuries on the famous Cheese market.
To this day, the famous Gouda Cheese is still made in the traditional way in the polders around the town, where the cows that provide their milk for the cheese each day can be found grazing. The farmers bring the cheese from the polders to the centre of Gouda, where they are traded on the cheese market. Every year the Gouda Cheese Market attracts many visitors from all over the world.
Gouda Cheese Market
The Gouda Cheese market is a spectacular and historic scene, held every Thursday morning from April 2th to August 27th 2020. Farmers negotiate over the price with the traders in front of the Waag (the Weighing House). The deal is still sealed with a handshake, as it has been for centuries. The cheeses are delivered to and from the market on wagonettes and weighed after the sale in the monumental Goudse Waag building. On several dates during the holidays there is also a Gouda childeren’s cheese market. And if after the cheese market you go in search of the rich history of the city, you will come across the Gouda cheese in various places.
Opening hours Cheese Market
The Gouda Cheese Market will be held every Thursday morning from April 2nd to August 27th 2020. The market will be active from 10.00 am till 12.30 pm.
- Every Thursday from April 2nd to August 27th 2020
- 10.00 am till 12.30 pm
Other Cheese markets in Holland
Are you planning to visit the best (flower) activities in Holland? Make sure to check out the most populair activities:
- Everything you want to know about Keukenhof Gardens
- Check out our information about the Flower Parade in Holland
- Our top sightseeing tours for exploring the flower fields
- Check out our hotel tips for visiting Keukenhof and the tulip fields
- Stay informed about the blooming of the flowers in Holland with our free Flower Forecast
- Want to experience the real thing? Visit a tulip farm in Holland
- See the best flower events during your visit to Holland? Check it out in our events calendar
- Visit the unique flower experience center all year round
- This flower attractions are open all year
- Our tips for the most populair tours in Amsterdam during your stay in Holland
- Get the most out of your visit with our tips for visiting Amsterdam
- Read more about the Tulip Festival Card