Thousands of visitors from all over the world visit Alkmaar for its cheese market, a particular spectacle which includes a market filled with cheese and hauling cheese carriers. In 1365 Alkmaar was granted weighing rights and a weighing scale, and in 1612 this number increased to four. Exactly when the first cheese market took place is shrouded in mystery. Old documents have been found that confirm the cheese market definitely took place in 1622, but there is also evidence that the cheese bearer’s guild was founded in 1593; we can therefore deduce that there must have been a cheese market at that time as well.
When is the cheese market in Alkmaar?
The cheese market Alkmaar 2019 will take place from March 29th untill september 27th, every friday from 10 am untill 13.00 pm on the Waagplein. In 2019 there will be the evening cheese markets on Tuesdays in July and August from 19.00-21.00.
Program Friday Cheese Market Alkmaar
- 09.15 – 09.50 u: performance by the carillon
- 09.50 – 11.00 u: Verbal presentation to visitors, in Dutch, German, English and French or Spanish
- 11.00 – 11.20 u: performance by the carillon
- 11.20 – 12.00 u: Verbal presentation to visitors, in Dutch, German, English and French or Spanish
- 12.00 – 12.20 u: performance by the carillon
- 12.20 – 12.55 u: Verbal presentation to visitors, in Dutch, German, English and French or Spanish
- 12.55 – 13.00 u: ‘closing’ of the cheesemarket
Tour / Excursion from Amsterdam to Cheese Market
In 2019 it is easier to go from Amsterdam to the cheese market in Alkmaar. There is a new half day tour available that brings you straight to Alkmaar. You will travel with a guided tour. The tour is just € 49,00 for adults and € 24,50 for kids (4-12 years).
|Adults||€ 49,00||Book now|
|Kids (4-12 years)||€ 24,50||Book now|
Where is the cheese market in Alkmaar?
The cheese market takes place at the square named Waagplein in Alkmaar.
Directions by Car
The Cheese Market is in the town centre of Alkmaar. You can use the PRIS (Parking Route Information System) to find directions to the car parks.
Directions by Train
There is a direct connection to Alkmaar from Amsterdam Centraal Station, with trains departing four times an hou
The cheese market is surrounded by a fun art and craft market. This is where you can find real Dutch ‘poffertjes’, herring, farm cheese, a clog maker, craft stalls and much more!
Hotels nearby the cheese market in Alkmaar
The city of Alkmaar is also ideal as a holiday destination to discover the Netherlands from there. From the city you can easily travel to Amsterdam, Schiphol, Haarlem, De Zaanse Schans and Volendam.
Our favorite overnight locations in Alkmaar are:
- Trendy penthouse in the city centre
- Family hotel Alkmaar -> Top location
- Indoor camping Alkmaar -> Unique location
- Golden Tulip Hotel -> 2 km walking distance of the cheese market Alkmaar
Other cheese markets around Amsterdam
- Cheese market Edam – Wednesday mornings in July and August
- Cheese Market Gouda – Thursday morning from April 5th to August 30st 2018
Are you planning to visit the best (flower) activities in Holland? Make sure to check out our most populair articles:
- Everything you want to know about Keukenhof Gardens
- Check out our information about the Flower Parades in Holland
- Visit the Flower Fields in Holland with our tips
- Stay informed about the growing of the flower in Holland with our Flower Reports
- Want to experience the real thing? Visit the best Flower Farms in Holland
- Our tips for the most populair tours from Amsterdam during your stay in Holland
- Get the most out of your visit with our tips for visiting Amsterdam
- The Countryside of Holland: all about Dutch cheese, clogs and windmills
- Is there something special in Holland? Check it out in our events calendar