Thousands of visitors from all over the world visit the city Alkmaar for its cheese market, a particular spectacle which includes a market filled with cheese and hauling cheese carriers.
In 1365 Alkmaar was granted weighing rights and a weighing scale, and in 1612 this number increased to four. Exactly when the first cheese market took place is shrouded in mystery. Old documents have been found that confirm the cheese market definitely took place in 1622, but there is also evidence that the cheese bearer’s guild was founded in 1593; we can therefore deduce that there must have been a cheese market at that time as well.
When is the cheese market in Alkmaar?
The cheese market Alkmaar 2020 will take place from March 27th untill september 25th, every friday from 10 am untill 13.00 pm on the Waagplein. In 2020 there will be the evening cheese markets on Tuesdays in July and August from 19.00-21.00.
Program Friday Cheese Market Alkmaar
- 09.15 – 09.50 u: performance by the carillon
- 09.50 – 11.00 u: Verbal presentation to visitors, in Dutch, German, English and French or Spanish
- 11.00 – 11.20 u: performance by the carillon
- 11.20 – 12.00 u: Verbal presentation to visitors, in Dutch, German, English and French or Spanish
- 12.00 – 12.20 u: performance by the carillon
- 12.20 – 12.55 u: Verbal presentation to visitors, in Dutch, German, English and French or Spanish
- 12.55 – 13.00 u: ‘closing’ of the cheesemarket
Tour / Excursion from Amsterdam to Cheese Market
In 2020 it is easier to go from Amsterdam to the cheese market in Alkmaar. There is a new half day tour available that brings you straight to Alkmaar. You will travel with a guided tour. The tour is just € 49,00 for adults and € 24,50 for kids (4-12 years).
Where is the cheese market in Alkmaar?
The cheese market takes place at the square named Waagplein in Alkmaar.
Directions by Car
The Cheese Market is in the town centre of Alkmaar. You can use the PRIS (Parking Route Information System) to find directions to the car parks.
Directions by Train
There is a direct connection to Alkmaar from Amsterdam Centraal Station, with trains departing four times an hou
The cheese market is surrounded by a fun art and craft market. This is where you can find real Dutch ‘poffertjes’, herring, farm cheese, a clog maker, craft stalls and much more!
Hotels nearby the cheese market in Alkmaar
The city of Alkmaar is also ideal as a holiday destination to discover the Netherlands from there. From the city you can easily travel to Amsterdam, Schiphol, Haarlem, De Zaanse Schans and Volendam.
Our favorite overnight locations in Alkmaar are:
- Trendy penthouse in the city centre
- Family hotel Alkmaar -> Top location
- Indoor camping Alkmaar -> Unique location
- Golden Tulip Hotel -> 2 km walking distance of the cheese market Alkmaar
Other cheese markets around Amsterdam
- Cheese market Edam – Wednesday mornings in July and August
- Cheese Market Gouda – Thursday morning from April to August
Are you planning to visit the best (flower) activities in Holland? Make sure to check out the most populair activities:
- Everything you want to know about Keukenhof Gardens
- Check out our information about the Flower Parade in Holland
- Our top sightseeing tours for exploring the flower fields
- Stay informed about the blooming of the flowers in Holland with our free Flower Forecast
- Want to experience the real thing? Visit a tulip farm in Holland
- See the best flower events during your visit to Holland? Check it out in our events calendar
- This flower attractions are open all year
- Our tips for the most populair tours in Amsterdam during your stay in Holland
- Get the most out of your visit with our tips for visiting Amsterdam
- Read more about the Tulip Festival Card