Before the tulip fields and the Keukenhof tulip garden blossom in spring in the most brilliant colours, a lot of work has to be done. From autumn onwards, the flower bulbs go into the ground. In the case of the tulip fields, this is done mechanically, but in the case of the Keukenhof tulip garden, more than 7 million bulbs are planted manually. A gigantic job that takes dozens of gardeners 2 months.
In ‘the making of’ we show various aspects of the work of the gardeners at Keukenhof and the tulip growers in the Bollenstreek. With photos and videos you get a good idea of the amount of work needed for a blossoming spring.
We hope that despite the corona virus many visitors will come to see the tulips. All activities take place mainly outdoors and Keukenhof Gardens has taken various corona measures to ensure that a visit in 2021 is safe and corona-proof.
Making of Keukenhof Gardens
After Keukenhof Gardens unfortunately remained closed in 2020 due to the global corona pandemic. The plans for 2021 were immediately taken up. After all, Keukenhof will open in 2021. And everyone is looking forward to a magnificent Tulip Festival in 2021. Check out the videos below to see the making of Keukenhof Gardens.
Making the designs for Keukenhof
Already during the tulip season the designs for the season the following year are being considered. Keukenhof Gardens has more than 100 suppliers of flower bulbs and based on the designs Keukenhof receives the flower bulbs.
As soon as the Keukenhof gates are closed and the tulip season comes to an end, the flowers including bulbs are removed from the gardens. The park will be prepared in August and September so that the new bulbs can be planted.
Also check out our FAQs for making your own tulip garden.
The 7 million flower bulbs for Keukenhof 2021 arrived
Each year, Keukenhof receives no less than 7 million bulbs for the Keukenhof Gardens from 100 Dutch flower bulb companies.
It’s quite an operation to check all the bulbs for quality and to classify them in the designs of the gardens for the coming spring.
Keukenhof Autumn vs. spring
Making of the tulip fields
The tulip fields are not laid out for tourists but are intended for growing tulip bulbs. From October the growers will start planting the bulbs. This is mainly done by machine so that the tulip fields get straight lines. This is useful for the production but also produces beautiful images in the spring.
Are you planning to visit the best (flower) activities in Holland? Make sure to check out the most populair activities:
- Everything you want to know about Keukenhof Gardens
- Check out our information about the Flower Parade in Holland
- Our top sightseeing tours for exploring the flower fields
- Check out our hotel tips for visiting Keukenhof and the tulip fields
- Stay informed about the blooming of the flowers in Holland with our free Flower Forecast
- Want to experience the real thing? Visit a tulip farm in Holland
- See the best flower events during your visit to Holland? Check it out in our events calendar
- Visit the unique flower experience center all year round
- This flower attractions are open all year
- Our tips for the most populair tours in Amsterdam during your stay in Holland
- Get the most out of your visit with our tips for visiting Amsterdam
- Read more about the Amsterdam Region Travel Ticket