Tulips grow best in maritime areas. This means, preferably not further away than 50-75 kilometers (30 – 50 miles) from the coast. In the Netherlands the area most like this is near the coast of the North Sea. The best types of soil are the sandy-clay grounds in the provinces of South and North Holland, Flevoland and the Noordoostpolder. In particular, the maritime climate and the vicinity of water are optimum conditions for growing tulips.
Best climate for growing tulips
Holland’s location on the 52nd degree of latitude and near sea level plays a significant role. Due to the combination of the maritime climate and the location, there are relatively mild winters and summers that are not too hot. Winter temperatures (from December until April) average between 2 and 4 degrees Celsius (35-40 degrees Fahrenheit). To fully convert the starch in the bulbs into sugars for energy, the tulips need a temperature of not more than 9 degrees Celsius (48 degrees Fahrenheit) for at least 3 months.
The annual average temperature in the Netherlands is 9.8 Celsius (48 F), the ideal temperature to grow tulips. In spring, the average rain precipitation is 60/80mm (2.5″ – 3.5″) per month. In dryer periods, there is plenty of water stored in the small canals and ditches to be able to irrigate and sprinkle the plants.
Do you want to stay updated on the blooming of the tulips? Sign up for our free newsletter.
Are you planning to visit the best (flower) activities in Holland? Make sure to check out the most populair activities:
- Everything you want to know about Keukenhof Gardens
- Check out our information about the Flower Parade in Holland
- Our top 5 sightseeing tours for exploring the flower fields
- Stay informed about the blooming of the flowers in Holland with our free Flower Forecast
- Want to experience the real thing? Visit a tulip farm in Holland
- See the best flower events during your visit to Holland? Check it out in our events calendar
- This flower attractions are open all year
- Our tips for the most populair tours in Amsterdam during your stay in Holland
- Get the most out of your visit with our tips for visiting Amsterdam
- The countryside of Holland: all about Dutch cheese, clogs and windmills