Every year in April the Dutch Flower Parade attracts millions of people form all over the world. The amazing floats travel a route from the beaches at Noordwijk to the city of Haarlem.
The origins of this event took place in 1947, just after World War II and three years before the first opening of Keukenhof Flower Garden. When the World War was over the need for parties and socializing was great. Organizing parades began. The procession consisted then of a couple with flower garlands and flower lingers, decorated trucks and handcarts. The local band preceded.
At the first flower parade of the Bollenstreek it was Willem Warmenhoven, an amaryllis grower from Hillegom, who was the creator of the first adult float in the shape of a whale. On a rickety form a small truck was built and were concealed hyacinths. The town Hillegom invited Sassenheim and Lisse to cooperate this event, this was set at a large-scale parade and a small corsocomité.
Every year the flower parade attracted more and more people. First only local visitors but in the early 50’s there where already more than 500.000 visitors form all over the world.
View the video below with the 25th Flower Parade in 1972.
More about the Dutch Flower Parade
- Download the promotion flyer for the Flower Parade 2018
- The Dutch Flower Parade of the Bollenstreek 2018
- More about the Dutch tulips
- Discover everything about Tulip Garden Keukenhof
- More about the dutch flower fields near Amsterdam
- Visit the unique Dutch Flower Parade
- Check our flower event listing
- The best tours & tickets for Amsterdam and the flower region
- Learn more about Amsterdam
- Learn more about the Bollenstreek (Dutch flower bulb region)