In Kinderdijk you will experience the Dutch history of the windmills. Everything in Kinderdijk is below sea level, so the people from Kinderdijk have been working together with the water and the wind for centuries to keep things dry. The mills and waterways tell the story of the Low Countries. Go back in time in an adventure full of wicks, water and willpower in Kinderdijk!
Windmills of Kinderdijk
The famous windmills of Kinderdijk tower over the polders of the Alblasserwaard, with their mighty wings proud in the wind. Yet these historic giants are only a small part of an enormous interplay between people, technology and nature. A thousand years ago this whole area was a large peat bog, sandwiched between wild rivers and the roar of the sea. Hunters and fishermen came here only in the summer, when the water was at least low enough.
A system of windmills and pumps has been draining the water from the Kinderdijk polder soil into the river for centuries. As these systems were improved, wind power was paired with steam, diesel, and electrically powered pumping stations, consecutively. Here, human wits, technology, and nature work together to keep our feet dry!
Opening hours Kinderdijk
- 1 March 2018 – 31 October 2018 – 7 days a week – 09.00 – 17.30
- 1 November 2018 – 24 December 2018 – 7 days a week – 10.00 – 16.00
- 25 December – CLOSED for Christmas day
- 26 December – 31 December 2018 – 7 days a week 10.00 – 16.00
Distance from Amsterdam
Kinderdijk World Heritage is easy to reach from Amsterdam and nearby cities like Rotterdam, Dordrecht. Want to travel in style? Take a boattour from Rotterdam city to Kinderdijk and combine your visit to Kinderdijk with the great port of Rotterdam.
Get the most from your visit to the Netherlands with this great value pass which gets you into top attractions across the country, including favorites like the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, the Stedelijk Art Gallery and more! Entrance to Kinderdijk is also included in the discount card Holland Pass. More information about the Amsterdam Holland Pass.
2961 AS Kinderdijk
Other windmills sites in Holland
Are you planning to visit the best (flower) activities in Holland? Make sure to check out our most populair articles:
- Everything you want to know about Keukenhof Gardens
- Check out our information about the Flower Parades in Holland
- Visit the Flower Fields in Holland with our tips
- Stay informed about the growing of the flower in Holland with our Flower Reports
- Want to experience the real thing? Visit the best Flower Farms in Holland
- Our tips for the most populair tours from Amsterdam during your stay in Holland
- Get the most out of your visit with our tips for visiting Amsterdam
- The Countryside of Holland: all about Dutch cheese, clogs and windmills
- Is there something special in Holland? Check it out in our events calendar